1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
2. Butter a 9 inch diameter circle in the center of a baking sheet.
3. In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes, and distribute evenly over flour mixture. With a pastry blender or two knives, mix into the flour mixture.
5. Stir together buttermilk, egg, and extract. Add to the flour mixture, and stir to combine.
6. Mix in the chocolate chips and hazelnuts. The dough will be sticky.
7. Spread the dough into an 8 inch diameter circle on the baking sheet. Cut with a serrated knife into 8 wedges.